CHP investigates influenza A outbreak in elderly home in Aberdeen
Hong Kong (HKSAR) - The Centre for Health Protection (CHP) of the Department of Health is today (August 9) investigating an influenza A outbreak at a residential care home for the elderly (RCHE) in Aberdeen, and again reminded the public to maintain strict personal and environmental hygiene against influenza.
The outbreak involves 18 residents, four men and 14 women aged 84 to 97, and two staff members. They have developed fever, cough and sore throat since July 24. Twelve required hospitalisation and seven of them were discharged.
All are in stable condition.
The respiratory specimens of nine affected residents tested positive for influenza A virus upon laboratory testing. Among them, three tested positive for influenza A(H3).
Officers of the CHP have conducted site visits and advised the RCHE to adopt infection control measures against respiratory infections. The RCHE has been put under medical surveillance.
RCHEs are reminded to follow the http://www.chp.gov.hk/en/guideline/11/35.html" target="_blank">Guidelines on Prevention of Communicable Diseases on prevention and control as well as management of outbreaks, which should be reported to the CHP for prompt follow-up.
The public should maintain good personal and environmental hygiene for protection against influenza and other respiratory illnesses.
- Receive seasonal influenza vaccination for personal protection;
- Wash hands with liquid soap and water properly whenever possibly contaminated;
- When hands are not visibly soiled, clean them with 70 to 80 per cent alcohol-based handrub;
- Cover the nose and mouth when sneezing or coughing, and wash hands thoroughly afterwards;
- Dispose of soiled tissue paper properly in a lidded rubbish bin;
- Put on a surgical mask when respiratory symptoms develop;
- Maintain good indoor ventilation;
- When influenza is prevalent, avoid going to crowded or poorly ventilated public places; high-risk individuals may consider putting on surgical masks in such places; and
- Maintain a balanced diet, exercise regularly, take adequate rest, do not smoke and avoid overstress.
The public may visit the CHP's pages for more information: the http://www.chp.gov.hk/en/view_content/14843.html" target="_blank">influenza page, the weekly http://www.chp.gov.hk/en/view_content/2108.html" target="_blank">Flu Express report and thehttp://www.chp.gov.hk/en/view_content/17980.html" target="_blank"> vaccination schemes page.
Published on: 2017-08-09
Limited copyright is granted for you to use and/or republish any story on this site for
any legitimate media purpose as long as you reference 7thSpace and any source mentioned in the story above. Please
make sure to read our disclaimer
prior to contacting 7thSpace Interactive. To contact our editors, visit our online helpdesk
. If you wish submit your own press release, click here