CHP investigates imported case of severe paediatric influenza B infection
Hong Kong (HKSAR) - The Centre for Health Protection (CHP) of the Department of Health is today (February 7) investigating an imported case of severe paediatric influenza B infection.
The 2-year-old boy, who lives in the Mainland with good past health, has presented with fever, cough and runny nose since February 2. He further developed abnormal behaviour on February 3 and seizures on February 5. He was brought to Hong Kong for medical treatment yesterday (February 6) and was admitted to Queen Mary Hospital for further management on the same day.
His throat swab tested positive for influenza B virus upon laboratory testing.
The clinical diagnosis was influenza B infection complicated with encephalopathy. He is now in a stable condition.
Initial enquiries revealed that the patient had yet to receive seasonal influenza vaccination for the current season. His mother has developed upper respiratory tract infection symptoms since yesterday and is in a stable condition.
His other home contacts are asymptomatic so far. Investigations are ongoing.
The public should maintain good personal and environmental hygiene for protection against influenza and other respiratory illnesses:
- Receive seasonal influenza vaccination for personal protection;
- Wash hands with liquid soap and water properly whenever possibly contaminated;
- When hands are not visibly soiled, clean them with 70 to 80 per cent alcohol-based handrub as an effective alternative;
- Wash or clean hands frequently, especially before touching the mouth, nose or eyes, or after touching public installations such as handrails or door knobs;
- Cover the nose and mouth when sneezing or coughing, and wash hands thoroughly afterwards;
- Dispose of soiled tissue paper properly in a lidded rubbish bin;
- Put on a surgical mask when respiratory symptoms develop;
- Maintain good indoor ventilation;
- Avoid going to crowded or poorly ventilated public places; high-risk individuals may consider putting on surgical masks when staying in such places; and
- Maintain a balanced diet, exercise regularly, take adequate rest, do not smoke and avoid overstress.
For more information, please visit the CHP's http://www.chp.gov.hk/en/view_content/14843.html" target="_blank">influenza page and weekly http://www.chp.gov.hk/en/view_content/2108.html" target="_blank">Flu Express.
Published on: 2018-02-07
Limited copyright is granted for you to use and/or republish any story on this site for
any legitimate media purpose as long as you reference 7thSpace and any source mentioned in the story above. Please
make sure to read our disclaimer
prior to contacting 7thSpace Interactive. To contact our editors, visit our online helpdesk
. If you wish submit your own press release, click here