CHP investigates influenza B outbreak at secondary school in Ho Man Tin
Hong Kong (HKSAR) - The Centre for Health Protection (CHP) of the Department of Health is today (February 12) investigating an influenza B outbreak at a secondary school in Ho Man Tin.
The outbreak involves 18 students, comprising 14 boys and four girls aged 12 to 19, as well as three staff members, who have developed fever, cough and sore throat since January 22. Nineteen of them sought medical attention and one of them was discharged after hospitalisation. All patients are in a stable condition.
The respiratory specimen of two affected students tested positive for influenza B virus upon laboratory testing.
Officers of the CHP have conducted site visits to the school and advised the school to adopt infection control measures against respiratory infections.
The school has been put under medical surveillance.
The public should maintain good personal and environmental hygiene for protection against influenza and other respiratory illnesses:
- Receive seasonal influenza vaccination for personal protection;
- Wash hands with liquid soap and water properly whenever possibly contaminated;
- When hands are not visibly soiled, clean them with 70 to 80 per cent alcohol-based handrub as an effective alternative;
- Wash or clean hands frequently, especially before touching the mouth, nose or eyes, or after touching public installations such as handrails or door knobs;
- Cover the nose and mouth when sneezing or coughing, and wash hands thoroughly afterwards;
- Dispose of soiled tissue paper properly in a lidded rubbish bin;
- Put on a surgical mask when respiratory symptoms develop;
- Maintain good indoor ventilation;
- Avoid going to crowded or poorly ventilated public places; high-risk individuals may consider putting on surgical masks when staying in such places; and
- Maintain a balanced diet, exercise regularly, take adequate rest, do not smoke and avoid overstress.
For more information, please visit the CHP's http://www.chp.gov.hk/en/view_content/14843.html" target="_blank">influenza page and weekly http://www.chp.gov.hk/en/view_content/2108.html" target="_blank">Flu Express.
Published on: 2018-02-12
Limited copyright is granted for you to use and/or republish any story on this site for
any legitimate media purpose as long as you reference 7thSpace and any source mentioned in the story above. Please
make sure to read our disclaimer
prior to contacting 7thSpace Interactive. To contact our editors, visit our online helpdesk
. If you wish submit your own press release, click here