CHP investigates outbreak of acute gastroenteritis in primary school in Tai Po
Hong Kong (HKSAR) - The Centre for Health Protection (CHP) of the Department of Health is today (April 12) investigating an outbreak of acute gastroenteritis (AGE) in a primary school in Tai Po, and hence reminded the public and management of institutions to maintain personal and environmental hygiene against AGE.
The outbreak involves 23 students, comprising 15 boys and eight girls aged 8 to 11, who developed vomiting, diarrhoea, abdominal pain and fever since April 10. Among them, 20 students sought medical attention and none required hospitalisation. All patients have been in a stable condition.
Officers of the CHP conducted a site visit and provided health advice to the staff of the school concerning proper and thorough disinfection, proper disposal of vomitus, and personal and environmental hygiene.
The school has been put under medical surveillance.
The CHP's investigations are ongoing.
A spokesman for the CHP advised members of the public to take heed of the following preventive measures against gastroenteritis:
- Ensure proper personal hygiene;
- Wash hands thoroughly before handling food and eating, after using the toilet or after changing diapers;
- Wear gloves when disposing of vomitus or faecal matter, and wash hands afterwards;
- Clean and disinfect contaminated areas or items promptly and thoroughly with diluted household bleach (by adding one part of bleach containing 5.25 per cent sodium hypochlorite to 49 parts of water). Wash hands thoroughly afterwards;
- Maintain good indoor ventilation;
- Pay attention to food hygiene;
- Use separate utensils to handle raw and cooked food;
- Avoid food that is not thoroughly cooked;
- Drink boiled water; and
- Do not patronise unlicensed food premises or food stalls.
The public may visit the CHP's website (http://www.chp.gov.hk/" target="_blank">www.chp.gov.hk) or call the Health Education Hotline (2833 0111) for more information.
Published on: 2018-04-12
Limited copyright is granted for you to use and/or republish any story on this site for
any legitimate media purpose as long as you reference 7thSpace and any source mentioned in the story above. Please
make sure to read our disclaimer
prior to contacting 7thSpace Interactive. To contact our editors, visit our online helpdesk
. If you wish submit your own press release, click here