7thSpace is a service provider allowing business owners and
companies to post their job openings on our web site. To contact the
person responsible for this job offer use the contact details provided by the poster.
Springer: Visual Designer
Springer is a world-class international publisher, and at the heart of our strategy we are a digital-first organisation. As a publishing company we understand the printed word, and our design reflects this in every detail: our aesthetic is modern, clean and well-structured, our typography beautiful but readable first and foremost.
The Platform Development Team is a multi-disciplinary team working in a fast-paced and collaborative environment, responsible for designing, building and testing Springer’s new digital platform. We’re in the business of building an enterprise-class web application, where the written word is king and delivering a first-rate user experience essential. Our core values are simplicity, openness, enthusiasm and excellence.
Our London office is based in Bloomsbury, and the position reports directly to the VP of Platform Development.
We’re seeking a digital designer early in their career, but with a few years experience and well-versed in user interface design. The position will initially take strategic direction from our world-class branding team so you’ll be comfortable working to existing brand guidelines and design values, but you’ll be keen to grow and develop the role into your own. You’ll join our user experience discipline, a small collaborative team where we like to think aloud, experiment and fail fast.
We need someone who has a good working knowledge of typography and hierarchy, colour theory, visual language and iconography, as well as grid systems and fluid layouts. You’ll also understand the constraints of designing for multiple platforms and devices, and you’ll relish the challenge of extending our mobile-first, responsive design. You’ll strive to deliver a clean, quiet aesthetic, and take pride in the beauty of small details.
We build our software iteratively, so you’ll be able to see new work go live to over four million visitors around the globe every week. Our teams are cross-discipline: you’ll work with business analysts and stakeholders to understand requirements, pair with user experience designers and front-end developers to continuously evolve proposed solutions, and you’ll be able to justify your rationale to development teams when necessary.
- love to sketch and visualise in order to communicate your ideas, the quicker the better.
- have your favourite tools, but are always seeking better ways to design.
- want to design a framework for an evolving system, not a static picture.
- consider attention to detail paramount, and craftmanship essential.
- understand the implications of designing for internationalisation.
- can easily communicate and defend your ideas, but aren’t precious when faced with new evidence.
- are comfortable presenting a concept via screen sharing, at a desk demo, or in a presentation.
- are friendly and adaptable, an excellent communicator, and passionate about good design.
- Excited by our business domain: science, technology and business publishing.
- Print experience and a keen eye for typography are definitely an advantage, as is the ability to think in CSS.
- Advocacy of evidence-driven, iterative design.
- Demonstrable understanding of Design Theory.
- Any experience of agile ux would certainly help you hit the ground running.
- German language whilst not required, would be useful.
Springer offers a competitive salary and benefits package including 25 days holiday plus bank holidays, contributory pension scheme, life assurance, discounted gym membership, cycle to work scheme, childcare vouchers and an employee support programme.
Please send your CV and covering letter, stating salary expectations and quoting the job reference (SPR/UXD) to: HR, Floor 6, 236 Gray's Inn Road, London, WC1X 8HB, or by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Springer is an Equal Opportunities Employer. We welcome all applications irrespective of race, gender, age, religion or belief, relationship status, pregnancy/maternity, sexual orientation or disability.
This job listing was published 781 days ago.
Brought to you by: